Motorists are requested to exercise caution when stopped by unknown persons and to report such incidents to the nearest police station.
Never offer a lift to a hitch hiker and do not stop next to the road, except for an emergency. People stopping to relieve themselves have also fall victim of this crime.
As part of curbing such incidents, motorist are requested to take heed and apply the following safety hints:
· A well-maintained car is less likely to break down and leave you vulnerable.
· Plan your route and let someone know what your route is and when to expect you at your destination.
· Always check the rear view mirror to see if you are being followed.
· Avoid driving with your windows open and keep the doors locked and put all valuables out of sight.
· Avoid distractions while driving such as using a cellphone.
· If you suspect you are being followed, drive to your nearest police station or a busy public area.
· When approaching a red traffic light, slow down so that you only reach it when it turns green especially during the night.
· If possible, park in a central, well-lit place, preferably with guards on duty.
· When stopping behind another vehicle, leave half a vehicle length in front so you can make an emergency escape if necessary.
· Avoid driving through unfamiliar areas.
• Avoid driving late at night / early hours of the morning when the roads are quiet.
• Drive in the centre lane away from pedestrians where possible.
• If possible, never drive alone.
• NEVER, EVER pick up hitchhikers or strangers. (VERY IMPORTANT)
• Never follow routine routes when driving; change on a regular basis.
• If possible, avoid driving in the dark. Hijackers may stage a minor accident, for e.g. If your vehicle is bumped from behind and you do not feel comfortable with the individual involved in the situation, indicate he / she must follow you and drive to the nearest Police Station or any busy public area for help.